Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Fab Four


"Mel" writes

First of all, I wanted to tell you that I have enjoyed your blog, which I was let to by the videos you have posted on YouTube. Now for my question... Did any of the Beatles ever make any sort of public statement about The White Album and it's supposed influence on Charles Manson and ultimately the crimes committed? Obviously, I am sure they have tried to distance themselves from the situation, but I have never read any comments from the Fab Four about this, and have always been curious what their thoughts were... I mean besides the obvious " He's a nut!" (: Thanks for your time, keep up the good work! Mel

Well, Mel, I cannot point to a definitive passage or quote to answer you. My recollection was that they told some interviewer during the trial that Helter Skelter was a slide in an amusement park, period. I know George went so far as to not let the BUG quote his lyrics in the book...but then allowed a cover version of Piggies in the 1976 TV Film.

My guess is that the Beatles just ignored the whole thing because it was laughable to everyone except BUGliosi.

No comments: